Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Trip to the Hospital

Saturday afternoon when we returned from the Pumpkin Patch, MM was very fussy when she woke up at home. I assumed she was hungry because it had been almost 5 hours since she ate last. I fed her, but noticed she was very warm and shaky. After her bottle, I took her temperature and it was 103.8!! Needless to say, I freaked! I took it again, thinking it was a mistake and it was 104.2! I started bawling and talked to my mother-in-law who told me the first thing I needed to do was put her in a cooler bath. So I did that and she was screaming the entire time and I was still crying. We were both a mess. I took her out after a few minutes and took her temp again, and it was 101.6. Pheww! But we still needed to take her to the ER. So we loaded her up after giving her some Motrin, and off to ACH. There, we set in the ER for 3 hours before they finally called us back. Her temp was down by now because of the medicine I gave her, so we thought that was why it was taking them so long to get to us. Chris finally had one of his "talks" with a nurse and we were the next one called. Way to go Daddy!
The doctors checked her out and everything on the outside looked great. We thought it was an ear infection but they looked fine. They told us that they wanted to do a blood and urine test. Ok, I thought. But how are they going to get her to pee?? A catheter. OMG Chris and I thought. We talked about it for a while and asked the doctor to come back in. We asked if he thought this was really necessary or if he thought it was just a virus. He along with my mother-in-law convinced us to do it. So Chris stepped out and I stayed with her. They got the urine sample and started an IV for the blood draw just incase they had to give her something later they wouldn't have to stick her again. Now, we just had to hurry up and wait.
After many hours later, we found out that she had a bad UTI. Her white blood cell count was very elevated and they were also found in her urine. So now the more bad news, they wanted to admit her for IV antibiotics. Ok, almost about out of my mind at this time. So after about 8 hours in the ER, we finally go up to her room. It is about 2:30 am now. Of course, they do not send us to a private room. So we bust up on this baby and her mom, MM is screaming because we are trying to put her in a cage of a crib and everyone is trying to take her vitals, when I finally whisper to Chris "do they not have a private room???!!" He goes and flirts with a nurse and gets us a private room. Thanks again Daddy! So after all that, we finally go to bed at 4:30 am and wake at about 7 :30. We were there for 2 days waiting to make sure the blood culture did not show any of the infection in her blood. We also had a kidney and bladder ultrasound to make sure her they were ok, which they were. We are on antibiotics still, which MM absolutely hates! We have a follow up appointment with her pediatrician tomorrow. She is feeling much better and is so glad to finally be home! I stayed home with her so she could rest and she slept almost all day.
We were all so scared. It is so hard to see your baby have to go through all that and be so sick and there is nothing you can do. It makes you feel helpless.

Waiting in ER

Daddy and MM sleeping in ER

Feeling yucky!

Great Gma Margaret came to visit!

The Hester clan!

Starting to feel better!

Momma loves me!

Conked out!

Our Lucy and Dezi Beds!

Waiting to go home!!

3 comments:

Amber said...

OMG Laura! How scary! I can't even imagine! I'm glad to know that MM is feeling much better, and I didn't know about all of Chris' tricks...so impressive! I might have to borrow him if we ever have to go to the ER :)

Ashley @ Belles, Bows and More said...

Wow! I'm sure you were scared, but I'm glad she is getting better now! Way to go Chris with all your "talks"!

Shawna said...

Oh no Laura, that is so scary, but I am so glad to hear that MM is feeling so much better (and that Chris still had a few tricks up his sleave). I'll keep MM in my prayers!